[Incoming Transmission from Psi Phi, Office of Communications]
Call To Order: 10:02 (::hit table::)(Aahh!) pm
- Ryan Woodrow (Captain)
- Kevin Zepp (First Officer)
- David Henderson (Chief of Operations)
- Elizabeth Koprucki (Grand Nagus)
- Laura Zadrozny (Constable)
- Kristen Zidon (Communications Officer)
- Jeff Hibbard (Faculty Advisor)
- Kristi Aulenbach
- Andrew Conrad, aka Sen~or Bob
- Peter Fattore
- Joan Johnson
- Andrew Kalafut
- Jon Lascelles
- Andromeda McGregor
- Mikiko Okamoto
- Meaghan Porter
- Don Steiner
- Will Vesely
- Erik Wills, aka Xeen
- Guest: Robert Krause
- Julie Faas (proxy Julie in the form of a stuffed owl)
There were 20 Human (and one proxy) attendees.
Summarized and approved, with a few corrections. About 15 people total attended the Enterprise premiere last week, and not all of them are in the
club. Also, Ryan suggested nominating King Kristen and Queen Kenny for Homecoming.
Recruitment and Relations Committee:
- We have a Bradley alum attending the meeting: Robert Krause, who attended from 1992 to 1997.
- Laura suggests a t-shirt design that states: "And now the score: Babylon 5, Deep Space 9!"
- David asserts that these are golf scores.
- On a semi-related note, Ryan hypothesizes that one reason for Joel's absence is that Ryan's beloved Cubs swept Joel's beloved Mets.
ORC (Office Renovation Committee):
- We need a volunteer to head this committee. It's not too much work, just getting movies and getting a place to watch them.
- John volunteered to get the movies.
- Joel's Geek-Greek alliance is one possible place to watch movies; another possibility is having Ryan reserve rooms in Baker Hall or other places on
CRC (Constitution Renovation Committee):
No Report Committee:
- Sr. Bob brought the remote control for the VCR he donated.
- "Joelish sucks! No report" is suggested for a no report, but Laura has an alternative.
- Laura gives Joan a birthday card, with the requirement that she read it aloud as the no report.
- Outside of card: "Birthday Greetings from Gandalf!"
- Inside of card: "You actually got excited about that, didn't you? What a geek!"
- Joan wonders whether or not Gandalf will do the pointy hat trick.
- No report.
- The minutes are out.
- The Comm. Officer has her left arm in a sling as an experiment for a one-armed character she's role-playing, in order get a feel for what it would be
like to only have use of one arm.
- David notes that some recipients of the minutes have requested that acronyms such as ORC, CRC, and OOA be written out in full in the minutes, so that
they aren't so confusing.
- Ryan asks the Chief of Operations and Comm. Officer about updating the minutes on the site.
- Don says that he can help out with this.
- Also, we are uncertain who currently has the Log Book, which has the signatures of members in it. Ryan says he'll ask Bryce about it.
Chief of Operations:
- The Constable lets down her hair and announces: "We have stripper!"
- She also quotes a Simpsons episode in which Stephen Hawking says, "I came to visit your utopia, but it turned out to be more of a Fruitopia."
- Everything is under control.
- The treasury had $557.46, minus a bill of $43.35 for the food. After the Nagus gives the money to the Captain to pay this bill, it has $514.11.
- David notes that the club already has $623.45 in referrals this quarter, and it may get up to $700.
- The Nagus introduces her new purse, as the purse she introduced last week was not large enough for her planner to fit into. Her new purse, Skathetc,
Meaghan responded to this by saying, "Sigh..."
David quickly added, "Fi..."
- The First Officer is also the treasurer of the DDR (Dance Dance Revolution) club, which is headed by Dan Leach. The club will be meeting for the first
time next week.
- Enterprise was cool tonight.
- As we have no letters, the club sings "No Letters."
- The deadline for painting the star for Homecoming has passed.
- Day of Dialogue is coming up in October. The Captain asks if any volunteers are willing to represent Psi Phi at the event.
- It is noted that "geeks are a culture!"
- Xeen volunteers to be an official Psi Phi representative there.
- We can enter a "Jazz up your jack-o-lantern!" contest for $10,with the chance to win an unspecified prize. It is noted that we have three art majors in
the club, as well as other people who like to do artistic things, and we may want to do this.
- The club votes to enter this contest, with 15 in favor, 1 opposed, and 5 abstentions.
- The Shack-a-thon begins next Wednesday, from 2:00 pm Wednesday to 2:00 pm Thursday.
- Sign up for time slots to stay in the shack.
- The Psi Phi meeting on the 24th will take place at the shack.
- Phi Kappa Tau lost a member recently. The Captain suggests we send a sympathy card to his fraternity and his family as a club. This idea meets with
approval, and the Captain will get a couple of cards that members can sign by going to Ryan's room at Geisert 213 (his phone number is x1071.)
- We have decided to have an away team to see The Rocky Horror Picture Show on Saturday, Nov. 1 at midnight. It costs $15 per person, although
Ryan's going to see if he can get a group discount. Ryan has the sign-up sheet for this event.
- The (mainly Star Trek) convention in Champaign is on October 15. It starts at 4:00, which means those who are going will probably leave campus
around 2:00. Since some people can't make it by then, we consider having shifts for this. We have enough people willing to drive that transportation
will be taken care of, and Psi Phi usually covers the cost of gas.
- Psi Phi will be ten years old next fall! Because of this, David suggests a get-together with Psi Phi alumni sometime then, possibly during Homecoming.
This will be about a year from now, but we want to start early so that we can get it ready in time. David needs contact information for alumni, so let
him know if you have info for an alum that he might not have. David, Laura, and Robert volunteer to be on a committee for this.
- Robert asks if Psi Phi has a convention. Ryan says that MCS has B-con every year, which is attended by a great many Psi Phi members, but we do not have
a convention ourselves. Robert says that, although he can't make any promises, he might be able to get some actors or other S.F. people to come to a
convention. It's a matter of connections and knowing the right people. The club is very interested by this news.
- A science fiction club at another university emailed David and asked if they could use the name Psi Phi. David agreed to this.
- Pretty soon we'll be a huge group, and will need embroidered shirts and a secret handshake. Group pictures are also suggested, as you can give other
people bunny ears (or Vulcan hand gesture ears).
Other Organizations' Announcements:
- The Dance Dance Revolution club will be meeting sometime next week. It may be taking place on Thursday nights, but this is still uncertain. Talk to
Kevin for more information.
- The Sci Fi Channel will be re-airing the miniseries Taken on Sunday nights at 8:00 and 10:00 pm, starting Sept. 28.
- Original CSI and CSI: Miami will be starting on Sept. 25 and Sept. 22, respectively.
- Joan of Arcadia will be starting on Sept. 26.
- Alias and Charmed will both be starting on Sept. 28.
- Roswell: Pursuit, the penultimate book of the series, is out. It ties up some loose ends in the series.
- Prophecy and Change, a collection of short stories set during the DS9 series, is also out. Thirty-three copies of this book have been
ordered through the Psi Phi website, making it the most ordered through Psi Phi item ever.
- The new Star Trek Communicator magazine is also out. It has information on Enterprise's upcoming season, a tribute to Matt Jefferies, and
a poster of the Enterprise, among other items.
- A man in black, Johnny Cash, died. (It sort of ties in to s.f.--man in black...)
- Science fiction and fantasy related calendars are on sale in Waldenbooks now! Some of these include
classic Star Wars, art from
Star Wars: Episode 2,
classic Star Trek,
Harry Potter, and
- David mentions the
Star Trek: Nemesis wall calendar, and the
Stardate 2004 day-by-day calendar,
which you can order through http://www.psiphi.org/.
[Note: Please email me if you note any mistakes. This applies to David
especially, as I think I may be missing some of the Sci Fi News section.]
Psi Phi Sector 001 /