Summer 2008 • Volume 14, Issue 3
Robertson Memorial Field House Rendering | BU/Cat timeline | Midnight Munchies |
Wilderness Race | Presidents' Museums Tour | Bradley alum hosts NPR show |
BU student-athlete wins on The Price is Right
A timeline of the Bradley and Caterpillar relationship
Lydia Moss Bradley founds Bradley Polytechnic Institute.
Holt Manufacturing Co., Caterpillar Tractor’s predecessor, opens a factory in East Peoria.
Holt Manufacturing Co.
Four-year engineering degree is added to Bradley curriculum.
Bradley Polytechnic Institute becomes Bradley University.
Industrial Arts Division housed in Duryea Hall
Caterpillar makes initial gift of $70,000 to Bradley.
Technical College is renamed Bennett College, offering industrial education, automobile, drafting, metalwork, and electricity classes.
At right, Charles A. Bennett was a professor of industrial arts from 1897 to 1920.
College of Engineering forms. Caterpillar provides co-op opportunities for students.
Caterpillar Tractor donates $100,000 toward construction of engineering building–Jobst Hall.
Caterpillar initiates the Educational Assistance Program, offering continuing education opportunities to employees.
Caterpillar Tractor begins visiting professor lecture series at BU with “Concepts of Thermodynamics.”
Cat chairman Louis Neumiller leads fund-raising after Bradley Hall is destroyed by fire.
BU president Martin Abegg organizes Bradley-Caterpillar Conference. Cat executives spend a day on campus while BU deans and department chairs tour Caterpillar.
Dr. Martin G. Abegg ’47 in 1971
Haussler Hall is dedicated, funded in part by a $250,000 gift from Caterpillar.
Hartmann Center for Performing Arts is dedicated, funded in part by $300,000 gift from Caterpillar.
Caterpillar begins matching gift program, matching gifts made by employees or retirees to Bradley and other charitable organizations.
Caterpillar donates $100,000 for the Caterpillar Excellence Fund. Bradley is selected to participate in the Caterpillar Scholars program.
Caterpillar Fellows program begins; provides financial support for research by junior faculty in business and engineering.
Caterpillar announces a gift of $5.6 million to the Campaign for Bradley.
Caterpillar president George Schaefer
“Management for the 1990s” executive certificate program is initiated and later renamed “Management for the 21st Century.” To date, more than 1,000 Caterpillar managers have participated, and the program continues to grow.
Caterpillar pledges $20 million to the Bradley Centennial Campaign. Cat employees set $4 million goal for the campaign and surpass it with pledges of $5.3 million.
BU president John Brazil, Board of Trustees president Bob Viets, and Caterpillar president Don Fites
Bradley establishes the Caterpillar Lecture Series.
Bradley initiates the Caterpillar Dependents Scholarship Program.
Bradley initiates and gives the Caterpillar name to the Endowed Professorships Program, New Initiatives Program, Graduate Fellowship Program, and Global Communications Center.
Caterpillar Professorships are established and the first are awarded. Today, there are eight Caterpillar Professors on Bradley’s campus.
Dr. Kevin Stein, Illinois poet laureate, is a Caterpillar professor at Bradley.
Bradley and Cat become founding members of Peoria NEXT, a collaboration focused on local science- and technology-based economic development.
Bradley establishes The Fites Chair in the College of Engineering and Technology to honor Donald V. Fites, retired Caterpillar chair and CEO and chair of Bradley’s Centennial Campaign.
Donald V. Fites
The 50,000 square-foot Innovation Center opens on Main Street in the heart of Renaissance Park. Built under a collaborative partnership between Peoria NEXT and the Heartland Commerce & Economic Development Foundation, the Center houses a technology incubator designed to stimulate regional development and new economic growth.
Caterpillar announces a $30 million gift to Bradley — the largest in the University’s history — that includes two matching grants aimed at attracting an additional $18 million. Plans call for naming the College of Engineering and Technology in Caterpillar’s honor.
From left, Gerald Shaheen ’66 MBA ’68, president of the Bradley Board of Trustees and chair
of the Campaign for a Bradley Renaissance; President Joanne Glasser; Jim Owens, Caterpillar Chairman and CEO.